Common Corners

navigation to townships
in KENT COUNTY

Ada
Algoma
Alpine
Bowne
Byron
Caledonia
Cannon
Cascade
Courtland
 (Rockford)
Gaines
Grand Rapids
Grattan
Lowell
 (Lowell City)
Nelson
 (Sand Lake)
Oakfield
Paris
 (Kentwood,
 E.Grand Rapids)
Plainfield
Solon
 (Cedar Springs)
Sparta
Spencer
Tyrone
 (Casnovia,
 Kent City)
Vergennes
 (Alton Village)
Walker
Wyoming

 (Grandville,
 Wyoming)

CITIES:
Grand Rapids
Rockford
Cedar Springs

 

 

oakfield museum

The Oakfield Museum at 11009 Podunk Road is under the direction of the Oakfield Township Historical Commission of seven township residents appointed by the township supervisor with approval of the township board. The Commission meets at the museum at 10:00 am the third Thursday of April, June, August and October. Others interested in the museum and history of Oakfield township are encouraged to attend the meetings and/or the volunteer days the opposite months to help with museum operation or make suggestions to the Commission.

Besides museum operation, the Commission also identifies historic sites in the township. Thanks to the Kent County Road Commission, a sign has now been placed at the site of the Oakfield Center Mill just south of the museum on Podunk Road. The mill was built in 1864 and was the center of much activity until the 1950s, as farmers brought their grains to be ground, catching up on the latest news as they waited. Three generations of the Jones family operated the mill during its heyday. The mill was removed in 1997 when the dam had to be rebuilt.

The Oakfield Museum is closed for the winter and will reopen May 6 and 7, 2017 for the annual “Spring Into the Past” tour of small museums sponsored by the Tri-River Historical Museum Network when over 29 member museums/historical societies are open from 11 am to 5 pm the first weekend of May. After that, the Oakfield Museum is open from 2 to 4 pm the second and fourth Sundays of June through September.

During 2016 over 100 people visited the Oakfield Museum, including three classes of second graders from Lincoln Heights Elementary School who come each year as part of their curriculum on community.

The building that houses the museum was originally built in 1901 by the Ancient Order of Gleaners for its meeting hall, then purchased by the township in 1931 to serve as the township hall until the new hall was built on M-57 in the 1980s. Several unique items once stored in a hidden cabinet may be the only such Gleaner artifacts still in existence. A couple area Gleaner Arbors also support the museum with a work day and donations which are much appreciated.

Everyone is encouraged to visit the Oakfield Museum to learn more of the local history and perhaps help with its operation. For more information, contact Clair or Sharon Bouck, 616-754-4553.

Content of this page provided by Oakfield Museum

home | databases | about this project | about wmgs

 


powered by FreeFind

Copyright 2006-2017 Western Michigan Genealogical Society. All rights reserved. Revised: January 16, 2017.

Common Corners