historical post offices
| photo gallery |
pioneer heritage society
OAKFIELD, Kent County: present Oakfield
TOWNSHIP was first settled by William R. Davis in
1838. William Horton became its first Postmaster
October 4, 1850; the place was also know as Oak
Center and as Podunk.
OAKFIELD CENTRE, this village, settled
in 1874, was named from its location in the
township; Nathan H. Gould became its first
postmaster on January 18, 1875.
HARVARD, a station on the Toledo,
Saginaw and Muskegon Railroad in 1888; Freeman
Addis became its first postmaster on August 22,
WHITE SWAN, John Davis became the first
postmaster of this rural postoffice on December
21, 1853; the office was closed on May 20, 1878.
(Reprinted from “Country
Cooking”, Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society Inc.,
published by Funcrafts Publishing, Inc.,
Collierville, TN. Copyright 1987)
Note: Currently, Oakfield
Township residents enjoy Rockford, Cedar Springs
and Greenville post office addresses.
Content of this page provided by
Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society